Mauritius Holiday Destination – Offering year-round sunshine with luxury hotels, family accommodation with child care and excellent golf course. These are many reasons why Mauritius is such a popular holiday destination choice for families, couples, honeymoons or Brides and grooms for their wedding destination. It really has something for everyone, all year round.
Twin this lovely island of Mauritius with a safari in South Africa or a city break in Dubai for a lovely twin center holiday or just fly and flop and enjoy the beautiful beaches. Year-round sunshine and crystal clear lagoons make Mauritius a popular choice with families, golfers, and honeymoon couples. Situated off the coast of Africa and Madagascar it is a popular beach choice for wildlife enthusiasts looking to combine a safari with luxury beach accommodation.
A great choice for long-haul summer school holidays with families as temperatures are in the mid-twenties and operators offer such great value for their 4 plus star hotels. Just consider accommodation on the west coast in their winter months to avoid the east winds that an cool down the temperatures on the East Coast. For sunsets, west is always best.
Mauritius Hotels, luxury, all-inclusive and Budget
Mauritius as an island offers the visitor a wide range of excellent luxury hotels as well as good value 3 star hotels. Whether you are looking for luxury hotels offering 5-star accommodation, service, and exquisite food or a good value hotel offering comfortable accommodation and friendly service, Mauritius can satisfy all visitors. Golf enthusiasts will love the choice of golf courses as well as golf hotels. Many hotels with golf courses in Mauritius offer free golf or heavily discounted green fees. Ask us for more details.
Honeymoons in Mauritius
If you are looking for a luxury destination with good weather, good food, and excellent accommodation then Mauritius will be a hard destination to beat. Take a romantic catamaran cruise and visit remote islets for lunch, snorkel in clear seas and look out for Dolphins swimming nearby. Take advantage of the many hotels that offer discounts for the brides accommodation enabling you to get more for your money. This offer applies to renewal of vows and wedding anniversaries at certain hotels.
Weddings in Mauritius
Mauritius offers the perfect venue for weddings on the beach with its wonderful climate and stunning backdrops. Many of the hotels offer free weddings or with a minimal charge. For more information on weddings in Mauritius take a look at our wedding video on getting married in Mauritius.Contact us (01256 536020) for your personal wedding quotation or email for more information.
Our Top 15 Things to do in Mauritius
- Visit Grand Bay, one of the first areas on the island to be developed for tourism. A shopping and leisure area offering a selection of shops, bars, and restaurants.
- Waterpark Leisure Village – an excellent day out for all the family to enjoy the many water slides and chutes.
- Domaine des Grand Bois – visit this area to experience the wildlife of Mauritius of stags, wild boar and monkeys as well as many endangered birds such as the kestrel.
- L’Aventure du Sucre – Visit the sugar factory and learn the history of sugar production in Mauritius.
- Beaches – As well as the hotel’s private beaches there is a selection of public beaches that should be visited to experience the endless white sands and wonderfully clear lagoons.
- Snorkeling and Scuba diving are very popular in Mauritius for beginners and advanced divers, there are many schools on the island and it is possible to take your PADI open water diver qualification whilst on Mauritius.
- Boat trips are hugely popular and there are many to choose from, includign day trips and sunset sailings. Here a few to consider are (a) Dolphin observation and snorkeling in the lagoon (b) Music and Sega dance on Benitiers Island (C) Crystal Rock and (d) Ile aux Aigrettes. The Ile aux Aigrettes is a great day trip only 10 minutes to the island where you can see tortoises roaming freely as well as many rare birds, gekos and home of the pink pigeon. There are many companies offering this service and can be prebooked, or ask reception in your hotel.
- Ebony forest, Once home to the Dodo, Ebony Forest is a great place to add to your list of things to do on the island, on visiting you can experience open-top jeep safari rides, enjoy the stunning views from Sublime Point over the majestic black ebony trees. Ensure you wear comfortable shoes and mosquito repellent.
- Horse Racing at Champ de Mars, horse racing arena in the VIP suite. If you like the go horse racing in the winter months (March to December) at the weekends consider a visit to the Champ de Mars racecourse in Mauritius.
- The sugar Museum, apart from very interesting and detailed information on sugar and the how the planting process evolved over the years. The museum provides very interesting and captivating information on Mauritius, a great place for relaxing and tasting the rum and sugar cane juice.
- Crocodile & Giant Tortoises Park – set in a beautiful rainforest this park is a must for families and adults looking to be at one with nature and see these giant tortoises. Visit the tortoise nursery to encounter Aldabra giant tortoises and feed them and get to see the baby tortoises and learn about the breeding program.
- The Ile aux Cerfs Treetops Experience – if you want to feel like Tarzan for the day then this is the place for you. There is an adult Tree top circuit and a child one to test your skills on more than 37 stations including zip lines of 30m long.
- The Big Cats Interaction spend 15 minutes inside the enclosures of the Lions, Caracals or Cheetahs, and discover these magnificent animals from very close.
- Underwater Sea Walk, walk on the ocean bed (about 3-4m depth) in a helmet with a transparent visor on your head and special breathing equipment. see the fish up close without any diving experience.
- The Heritage Tour – this tour takes you around the island exploring and learning the history of Mauritius. A tailor-made tour for you and your party which includes visits to; Sugar Museum and Factory, The capital of Mauritius: Port Louis, Aapravasi Ghat Trust Fund, Eureka house (where you can stop for lunch) and The Mauritius Glass Gallery.
Sports in Mauritius
Mauritius offers all water sports such as sailing, snorkeling, diving, water skiing and windsurfing. Enjoy a round of golf on one of the many golf courses in Mauritius and if you are feeling flush, play a round at Le Touessrok a golf course on its own private island, Ile aux Cerfs, which you access by private boat. some hotels have their own golf courses and at certain times offer complimentary green fees with your stay, if you would like to know more then email or call us today for more information on golf packages in Mauritius.
Weather in Mauritius
Winter in Mauritius falls between June and September when the temperature has highs of 22. Best time to visit is between October and January when temperatures reach a comfortable 34. Watch out for cyclones that can arrive on the island in the months November to April which also brings in the heaviest rainfall in the months of February and March.
Best time to visit; April to June or September to November. Winds can be strong on the East Coast so consider a stay at the west coast of the island if visiting in the winter months.
When does the sunrise and sunset in Mauritius? – The daylight time varies on the island from one side to the other, West is the best for winter time as you get a little more sunshine and those beautiful sunsets. If you want that early start with the sunrise then visit the east side, but keep in mind it is prone to the winds from the Indian Ocean. This great guide for sunrise and sunset in Mauritius is worth reading before deciding on which side of the island.
Where to stay on the island
The north coast of Mauritius is the most developed area but offers protection from the east winds with a choice of pretty sandy beaches. The south coast is the least developed on the island and feels more remote but the beaches are less protected and more cliff coastline than sandy beaches. The West coast is the most popular with families with the stunning sunsets, no wind, and miles golden sandy beaches with calm seas. The east coast is where to head if you want wind and water sports and up and coming area for developers as the pure white sands and beautiful lava outcrops with an offshore breeze offers an escape from mosquitos! Just bear in mind these winds when deciding on your hotel and location on the island when traveling in the winter months.
Driving tips and Car Hire in Mauritius
Driving in Mauritius is on the left-hand side. Speed limits are low 25 to 50mph due to the narrow roads, however, car hire is an excellent way to get around the island.
Watch out for pedestrians that often walk out onto the roads and drivers who do not use headlights at night. Drinking and driving is not allowed in Mauritius.
Time Difference: GMT + 4
Health: Mauritius is a disease-free country
Mauritius official Tourist Board
For more detailed information you can visit the official Mauritius Tourist Board
Languages are spoken Mauritian Creole, English
Currency Mauritian Rupee
Visa requirements Visa not required. Passport validity 6 months from the date of return